At Walker&Wade, we love embellishments of all kinds - sequins, jewels, beads and embroidery. Our trademark is the custom bead work all done by women artisans, working at home, empowered to provide a better life for their children. These women put great care into their work. Here are our tips for taking care of your sparkles.
- Hand-wash silk, lace and beaded pieces.
- Skip the washing machine and wash your embellished clothes as you would your delicates. Turn the garment inside out and submerge it in a cool water bath with a small amount of mild detergent. Gently agitate the water with your hands and leave to soak for 20 minutes. Run tepid water over the shirt or dress to rinse and lay flat to dry.
- Put on jewelry after you get dressed.
- Accessorize after you’ve put your clothing on so that you minimize the chances of inadvertently snagging threads with your jewelry.
- Wash rayon pieces in the washing machine on delicate in COLD water.
- Put any rayon pieces in the dryer, they will shrink more than cotton!
- Keep sequins out of the dryer and avoid steaming or ironing an embellished area. Heat can cause sequins to melt, bend or crack. Once washed, lay your garment flat to dry or hang it to air dry.
- Pull at loose threads. With wear, you may eventually lose a few sequins. But if you see a loose thread, resist the temptation to pull on it. Instead, secure it by making a double knot and take it to a seamstress. You’ll preserve your favorite dazzling pieces for even longer.